The Better Business Bureau Serving E. Missouri & S. Illinois Student of Ethics Award Program recognizes juniors in high school who personify high ethics demonstrated through leadership, community service, overall personal integrity, and academic history.
Three students will be selected by an independent panel of judges to receive scholarships of $2,500 each, sent on their behalf to any accredited college of their choice. Scholarships must be used within three years of receiving the award, and will be distributed to the student’s college upon verification of enrollment. The scholarship must be applied toward school-related expenses, including: tuition, books, room and board, or other related items.
Awards will be presented to recipient students at the BBB’s TORCH Awards event in October. The BBB will pay for the student to attend this luncheon banquet, as well as provide two additional tickets for the student’s parents or guest.
AWARD GUIDELINES: The judging will be done by representatives of the academic community. Judges will select the scholarship recipients based on their leadership, contributions to their communities and schools, personal integrity, academic accomplishments, letter of reference, and written essay. Decisions of the judges are final.
The applicant must be a U.S. citizen and a legal resident of Illinois or Missouri. The scholarship program is open to qualified, high-school juniors in the 92 counties in Southern Illinois and Eastern Missouri served by the St. Louis BBB. Entries should include the completed entry form (following this letter), a one-page essay written by the student, and the student’s high school transcript. One letter of reference for the student (e.g. from a teacher, school official, church official, employer, etc. – no family members, please) should be included in the packet. The letter of reference should be no longer than 100 words.
All submitted entries become the property of the BBB and cannot be returned. Winning students will be notified via telephone call in early-July. All non-winning students will be notified via mail after winning students are contacted.
CRITERIA: Leadership-10%, Community Service-10%, Academic-10%, Letter of Reference–10%, Essay-60%.
Students should demonstrate their commitment to high ethical behavior and provide documentation in the following areas:
- Describe any extra-curricular, school-related activities. Include awards/honors or offices held.
- List past and present employers and describe positions held (if applicable, not required).
Community Service (10%)
- Describe activities outside of school and within your community, such as church, charitable or community activities.
- Enclose a copy of most recent transcript
- Describe post-secondary education plans
Letter of Reference (10%)
- Personal recommendation with reasons
- Write a 300 word essay on the importance of ethics in school, business and our community and describe how the student handled an ethical decision. Discuss viewpoints and give examples, as applicable. The student may want to discuss how marketplace ethics involves integrity, honesty and civility in our community. Ethics can be described as a decision-making process that enables us to determine the “right” thing to do in a given, sometimes difficult, situation. Essay must be typed, 12-point, single-spaced and black ink. All essays become property of the BBB. Winners’ names may be released to the public and news media for promotional purposes.
PROCEDURE: Mail the completed application form, essay, transcript, and letter of reference to: Chris Thetford, Student of Ethics Awards, Better Business Bureau, Metropolitan Square, 211 N. Broadway, Suite 2060, St. Louis, MO 63102.) Incomplete entries will not be accepted or acknowledged. Please make sure that the folder of information is complete (essay, transcript and letter of reference). Sealed copies of transcripts can be opened and copied.
AWARD: Recipients of BBB Student of Ethics Awards will be asked to attend the BBB’s TORCH Awards event in October. Details on this event will be forthcoming. The awards will be made payable to the winning students’ selected college.
DEADLINE: Must be postmarked or hand delivered by April 26, 2013.
To download the Application Form, please click here